Kent Toy Scheme
Please note: This is a Kent County Council Scheme and families living in Medway are not eligible to apply.
The application is only by completing the form provided and returning to Kenttoyscheme@wearebeams.org.uk
Kent County Council is particularly aware of how tough it has been and remains for families that have children with special educational needs and disabilities in the household. Many of the support services normally provided for these families, such as short breaks or respite have been closed or offering a restricted service due to the pandemic and have been looking at other ways of providing support.
KCC in collaboration with We Are Beams, has launched a new scheme to allow families to buy toys and activities to keep children entertained and help alleviate some of the pressures.
We will be providing up to £250 for every child or young person who meets the eligibility criteria.
The scheme is available to:
- Disabled children and young people aged 5 to 17, who receive a Short Break including support from a PA, attending a Short Break activity programme (SBAP), an overnight Short Break or a Community Support Service.
- Children and young people who are on SBAP waiting lists (assessed as eligible for a Short Break Activity).
- Children and young people who have accessed a SBAP within the last 6 months.
- Children and young people aged between 5 and 17 who are diagnosed with an autistic spectrum condition with an allocated Social Worker from KCC Children’s Social Care Team and are struggling with the lockdown.
- Disabled Children and young people, including those with an autistic spectrum condition, aged between 5 and 17 who are currently in a Foster Placement and are struggling with the lockdown.
Unfortunately, KCC is not in a position to offer the scheme to every family and have to have eligibility criteria.
Access to the Scheme
Families wishing to benefit from this scheme will need to identify the specific items they would like, where they can be purchased from, the price including P&P and this will need to go on the application form.
All requests MUST be endorsed and confirmed by either the SBAP provider making the referral or their Social Worker.
All requests must be made by e-mail only at email@example.com
Please do not call We Are Beams as we are unable to handle enquiries over the phone.
Parents may like to consider using some of this money to purchase a membership of an Emporium Plus Subscription
Emporium Plus offers loans of resources suited to children and young people with additional needs. They have created a special Membership rate of £100, which allows the rental of 1 high-value item and 4 lower value items over the course of a 12-month period. More information can be found on their website: https://emporiumplus.co.uk/membership.html and families should be encouraged to consider this option.
An application form is HERE