What is Transition?

Transition is the word used by professionals to describe a period of time in young people’s lives when they are moving toward adulthood and need to think about the opportunities for them after they turn 18.

Why is it Important to Start Thinking About Transition?

Families with a disabled child often face additional challenges which might delay or limit a young person’s move toward independence.   The changes associated with this time of a young person’s life should be considered as an opportunity to build toward a positive future but we understand that this can also be extremely daunting.

Kent County Council’s Transition Protocols

Kent County Council has produced the a booklet to help guide a young person and their family through transition changes and explain the different stages for transition.

Please see the SEN Transition download by clicking here

What Happens Next?

Your Social Worker is responsible for working closely with your DP Case Worker to ensure there is continuity of service throughout this period.  Speak to your Social Worker if you have any questions or concerns about transition.

Direct Payments through Transition

Young people aged 16 and 17 may wish, as part of their transition, to take control of their Direct Payment in preparation for adulthood.  They could become involved in some aspects, but retain the help of their family, to enable them to gain more control over their lives.  Their involvement in managing the Direct Payment can be gradually increased with the objective of full management at age 18.   Management of the Direct Payment does require that the young person has capacity and a Mental Capacity Assessment (MCA) will be undertaken by their Social Worker as part of transition.

For more information please speak to your Direct Payment Case Worker.

Useful websites relating to this article are;

Transition Information Network   

NICE on good transition practice.

Just before the young person reaches the age of 18, a financial assessment will take place.  This is normally in the form of a telephone call from Kent County Council’s Financial Assessment Team, to determine whether the young person will be required to make a financial contribution towards their care after they are 18.  Your Social Worker will make a referral for this assessment.

Your Social Worker will review the assessment of need to ensure this remains suitable.  Where a young person may be leaving education, the assessed needs may change.

Your Direct Payment Case Worker will work in partnership with your Social Worker to ensure that payments from the Local Authority child finance system are transferred to the adult finance system ensuring that there is no break in funding and that any change in assessed need is correctly funded.