The aim of our Family Advice Service is to ensure parents, carers and young people have access to timely, accurate and independent information as well as advice and support. This enables you to take an informed and active role in any decisions relating to SEND processes and day to day activities. Priority support is given to our members, (please see our website for information about membership), however we welcome enquiries from anyone in need, within the areas of Dartford, Gravesham and Sevenoaks.
The service aims to empower parents, carers and young people and to help you ensure your voices are heard.
The Family Advice staff team are well established and have accessed independent training in Disability Benefits, Send practice and procedure, Behaviour Management, Autism & ADHD Awareness and all have personal experience of supporting disabled children.
How we can Support
- Telephone enquiry line, Mon – Fri 10 am until 2 pm
- Weekly Advice drop in clinics (term time only)
- Monthly support group meetings
- Parent training courses/workshops
- Home visits (if approved by service manager)
- Support at meetings
Our advisers can
- Meet with you to discuss your concerns
- Help you prioritise actions
- Give you information & advice about referral pathways
- Help you understand a diagnosis that has been given
- Give you an overview of SEND processes
- Offer advice which may help you manage your child’s behaviour
Extended Services for Members
- Help you complete benefit forms and draft letters/emails
- Help you prepare a parental request for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP’s)
- Give you advice and support relating to annual reviews of EHCP’s
- Support you at meetings with professionals in relation to health, education and social care matters
Our advisers can not
- Speak for you
- Make decisions for you
- Represent you in benefit tribunals
- Advise or support you with Send tribunals
- Give you legal advice
- Dual work alongside other agencies including Early Help and IASK
- Provide therapeutic input suggested by Health Services, including Camhs
Whilst our team has substantial experience in our field of work, the information and advice we give is general and as such, does not constitute ‘Legal Advice’. You must not rely on the information given as an alternative to legal advice from a solicitor or other professional legal adviser.